BROADCOM’S NEW 65-NM “SMART” SWITCH ENABLES MASS
DEPLOYMENT OF GIGABIT ETHERNET FOR THE CONSUMER MARKET
F E A T U R E S
Highly integrated, 65-nanometer (nm) process, non-blocking 5-
port 10/100/1000 switch silicon that integrates:
• Five 10/100/1000 PHYs.
• Two fully integrated, GMII/RGMII/MII interfaces Inband
Management Ports (IMP) for glueless connection to a CPU or
Patented ease of use capabilities:
• LoopDTech™ technology provides loop detection without running
spanning tree protocol (STP).
• CableChecker™ enables advanced cable diagnostics based on the
Virtual Local-Area Network (VLAN)
• IEEE 802.1Q-based VLAN with 4K entries.
• Port-based VLAN.
• VLAN double tagging (Q-in-Q): Supports addition and removal of
one or two tags and VLAN translation.
• MAC-based VLAN.
Quality of Service (QoS)
• Four selectable QoS per port; SP and WRR and any combination
of SP and WRR scheduling.
• Port, MAC, IEEE 802.1P, and IPv4/IPv6 DSCP-based QoS.
• 9 KB jumbo frame support; wirespeed performance for all fame
• 4K MAC addresses with automatic learning and aging.
• 64 multicast group support.
• 128-KB packet buffer.
• Allows data packet inspection to be offloaded from a product’s
central processing unit (CPU), thereby freeing up CPU bandwidth
to provide superior performance.
• IEEE 802.1x support for secure user authentication.
• DoS prevention hardware.
• TCAM-based ACLs: 256 policy rules, rule-based filtering, and
QoS class modification; rule-based metering and accounting;
128-byte deep packet header look-up, 28-byte matching.
Traffic control and network resiliency
• Storm control and port-based ingress/egress rate control.
• Spanning Tree support (Rapid Spanning Tree and Multiple Spanning
Trees—up to 16)
• IPv4 IGMP and IPv6 MLD snooping
• IEEE 802.3x programmable per-port flow control and backpressure
• Port mirroring, LLDP, LACP
S U M M A R Y O F B E N E F I T S
Industry’s first 65-nm 5-port Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) switch in a
single chip enables ubiquitous deployment of GbE to consumer
electronic devices and home networking equipment.
Flexible solution enables cost-optimized consumer system designs
that require scalable interfaces to address every facet of the
consumer market segment.
Broadcom-patented features provide unique and easy to use
solutions to network loop and cable problems. LoopDTech
automatically detects network debilitating loops, reducing system
cost. CableChecker can be run at any time to detect cable length
and problems without interrupting live traffic and keep
VLAN feature insures proper layer 2 isolation and security.
• Double tagging enables carrier class devices.
• MAC-based VLAN provides wireless AP security support.
Integrated QoS technology supports all types of consumer
connections, including VoIP, video, audio, and data. Priority can
be assigned each traffic type to ensure guaranteed delivery of
time-sensitive packets and efficient use of network bandwidth.
Performance enhanced architecture supports line rate data
transfer to ensure consumer data (video, audio, pictures, and
files) are sent at wirespeed.
Increased network security that blocks unwanted access.
• Provides an easy way to troubleshoot security problems.
• Provides enhanced network security and resiliency to keep the
home network running efficiently.
Traffic control allows rate control which identifies and prioritizes
different data packet types within the switch while
simultaneously assigning voice packets a higher priority for
outbound communications, in addition to Layer 2 and Layer 3
multicast table support for IPTV.