ATMEGA48A-PU Atmel, ATMEGA48A-PU Datasheet - Page 211
Manufacturer Part Number
IC MCU AVR 4K FLASH 28PDIP
Specifications of ATMEGA48A-PU
I²C, SPI, UART/USART
Brown-out Detect/Reset, POR, PWM, WDT
Number Of I /o
Program Memory Size
4KB (2K x 16)
Program Memory Type
256 x 8
512 x 8
Voltage - Supply (vcc/vdd)
1.8 V ~ 5.5 V
-40°C ~ 85°C
Package / Case
28-DIP (0.300", 7.62mm)
No. Of I/o's
Eeprom Memory Size
Ram Memory Size
Lead Free Status / RoHS Status
Lead free / RoHS Compliant
AVR USART MSPIM vs. AVR SPI
The USART in MSPIM mode is fully compatible with the AVR SPI regarding:
• Master mode timing diagram.
• The UCPOLn bit functionality is identical to the SPI CPOL bit.
• The UCPHAn bit functionality is identical to the SPI CPHA bit.
• The UDORDn bit functionality is identical to the SPI DORD bit.
However, since the USART in MSPIM mode reuses the USART resources, the use of the
USART in MSPIM mode is somewhat different compared to the SPI. In addition to differences of
the control register bits, and that only master operation is supported by the USART in MSPIM
mode, the following features differ between the two modules:
• The USART in MSPIM mode includes (double) buffering of the transmitter. The SPI has no
• The USART in MSPIM mode receiver includes an additional buffer level.
• The SPI WCOL (Write Collision) bit is not included in USART in MSPIM mode.
• The SPI double speed mode (SPI2X) bit is not included. However, the same effect is achieved
• Interrupt timing is not compatible.
• Pin control differs due to the master only operation of the USART in MSPIM mode.
A comparison of the USART in MSPIM mode and the SPI pins is shown in
by setting UBRRn accordingly.
Comparison of USART in MSPIM mode and SPI pins.
Master Out only
Master In only
Not supported by USART in
Table 20-3 on page