9-PORT GbE SWITCH WITH EIGHT INTEGRATED 10/100/1000 PHYs
F E A T U R E S
Highly integrated, non-blocking 9-port 10/100/1000 switch silicon that
• Eight 10/100/1000 PHYs
• One GMII/RGMII interface for an Inband Management Port (IMP) for
glueless connection to a CPU/management entity
• Serial EEPROM, MDC/MDIO, SPI, and Interrupt-to-CPU interfaces
Broadcom’s LoopDTech™ and CableChecker™ help reduce network
downtime and minimize installation, maintenance, and support efforts
• LoopDTech technology provides loop detection without running
spanning tree protocol
• CableChecker enables advanced cable diagnostics based on the
Virtual Local-Area Network (VLAN)
• IEEE 802.1Q-based VLAN with 4K entries
• Port-based VLAN
• VLAN double tagging (Q-in-Q)
Quality of Service (QoS)
• Four selectable QoS per port; SP and WRR
• Port, MAC, IEEE 802.1P, and IPv4/IPv6 DSCP based QoS
• 9 KB jumbo frame support; wirespeed performance for all fame sizes
• 4K MAC addresses with automatic learning and aging
• 256 multicast group support
• 196-KB packet buffer
• IEEE 802.1x support for secure user authentication
• DoS prevention hardware
Traffic control and network resiliency
• Storm control and port-based ingress/egress rate control
• Spanning Tree support (Rapid Spanning Tree and Multiple Spanning
Trees—up to 16)
• IPv4 IGMP and IPv6 MLD snooping
• IEEE 802.3x programmable per-port flow control and backpressure
• Port mirroring, LLDP, LACP
• On-chip MIB counters to collect receive and transmit statistics for each
port, hardware support for SNMP/MIBs and RMON
Technology and physical specifications
• State-of-the-art 65 nm LP, 6-layer metal technology
• 1.2V core and 3.3V I/O
• Typical power consumption less than 3.9W
S U M M A R Y O F B E N E F I T S
Flexible solution enables cost-optimized board and system designs.
Additional interfaces enable efficient designs for branch office switch
applications. Flexible CPU interface allows it to work with any CPU.
Broadcom-patented features provide unique solutions to network loop
and cable problems. LoopDTech, without running STP, automatically
detects loops, reducing system cost. CableChecker, unlike traditional
TDR-based cable diagnostics, can be run at any time to detect cable
length and problems without interrupting live traffic.
VLAN feature insures proper layer 2 isolation and security.
Double tagging enables private VLAN capability.
Supports all types of client connections, including VoIP, video,
multimedia, and data. Priority can be assigned each traffic type to
guarantee delivery of time-sensitive packets and efficient use of
Provides a bigger bang for the buck (with line-rate and non-blocking
performance in an SMB switch).
Highly integrated and scalable design supports large number of client
connections, prolonging the life of the switch even as the number of
users increases and, in turn, reducing the cost of network expansions.
Increases network security and blocks unwanted access.
Providess an easy way to troubleshoot security problems.
Enhances network security and resiliency to keep the network
running efficiently. A network that is always available and rarely goes
down enhances workplace efficiency and minimizes IT support costs.
Enables multicast switching with IGMP and MLD snooping without
expensive L3 multicast routing.
QoS, VLAN, and rate control, coupled with security, make the
BCM53118 one of the most powerful SMB switches to provide control
over who is connected, the resources assigned to the users, and
Can be managed remotely using SNMP or RMON. Build
sophisticated applications on the switch with the fully featured, easy-
to-use Broadcom SDK.
Leapfrogs one generation of process technology to provide the lowest
power and lowest system cost solution in the industry.