RN-270F Roving Networks Inc, RN-270F Datasheet
Manufacturer Part Number
Bluetooth / 802.15.1 Modules & Development Tools FireFly RS-232 Femle w/AAA BatterySupport
Roving Networks Inc
Specifications of RN-270F
Bluetooth 2.1 Serial Adapter with Battery Support
For Use With/related Products
RS232, RS422 Serial Port
Lead Free Status / RoHS Status
Lead free / RoHS Compliant
Three connection modes are available:
connect to FireFly via Bluetooth Serial Port Profile, creating a Virtual COM port on the client.
connect to other Bluetooth SPP devices in master mode. FireFly can also trigger on incoming data and
auto disconnect when data transfer is complete to minimize power.
Features and Specifications
Roving Networks Incorporated
809 University Avenue
Los Gatos, CA 95032
Roving Networks, a leading developer of wireless intelligent network appliances,
introduces the FireFly Bluetooth serial adapter. This device gives any RS232/422 serial
port Bluetooth capabilities and can run without external power!.
Smaller than a business card, FireFly easily attaches
to RS232 or RS422 serial ports via DB9 male or female
connector. With built-in AAA battery holders and
advanced sleep modes = long-life operation (10-20hrs)!
• Sockets for 2 standard AAA Batteries, any types can be used Alkaline, NiMH recharge, others.
• Takes power from Pin 9 and can trickle charge batteries from this Pin (5VDC required).
• Smart On/Off switch with programmable auto-off timer for battery life optimization.
•Bluetooth Specification 2.1 (with EDR high data rate) compliant, also compatible with 1.1/1.2.
• DB9 male (or female) with onboard jumpers swap DCE/DTE eliminates need for crossover cables.
• Very Low power, programmable discovery and Sniff modes(1-10ma standby, 5-30ma connected)
• Settings can be easily changed with AT commands via serial port and remotely over Bluetooth.
• Baudrates from 1200 to 232K pbs, and non-standard values, defaults to 9600 or 115200.
• High Power (Class 1) 100Meter Bluetooth™ radio with integrated Antenna.
• 3 LEDs, Transmit/Received data, Power/Connection Status, Low/Full/Charge mode battery.
Ordering numbers: RS-232 RN-270M (male) RN-270F (female)
Bluetooth clients, such as Palm/Pocket PC PDA’s, laptops, scanners, cellphones directly
-matched pair of FireFlys, BlueportXP, or RN-USB-X link to each other for a wireless
FireFly can automatically (or manually via software control codes) discover and
RS-422 RN-274M (male only)
with Standard 2- AAA Battery Support
Telephone: (408) 395-6539
2.1 (EDR) Serial Adapter
Model RN-270 Data Sheet
Production, December 2008