TOP242 Power Integrations Inc., TOP242 Datasheet
Manufacturer Part Number
Family Extended Power/ Design Flexible/Integrated Off-line Switcher
Power Integrations Inc.
TOPSwitch -GX Family
Extended Power, Design Flexible,
Lower System Cost, High Design Flexibility
• Extended power range to 250 W
• Features eliminate or reduce cost of external components
• Fully integrated soft-start for minimum stress/overshoot
• Externally programmable accurate current limit
• Wider duty cycle for more power, smaller input capacitor
• Separate line sense and current limit pins on Y/R packages
• Line under-voltage (UV) detection: no turn off glitches
• Line overvoltage (OV) shutdown extends line surge limit
• Line feed forward with maximum duty cycle (DC
• Frequency jittering reduces EMI and EMI filtering costs
• Regulates to zero load without dummy loading
• 132 kHz frequency reduces transformer/power supply size
• Half frequency option in Y/R packages for video applications
• Hysteretic thermal shutdown for automatic fault recovery
• Large thermal hysteresis prevents PC board overheating
EcoSmart - Energy Efficient
• Extremely low consumption in remote off mode
• Frequency lowered with load for high standby efficiency
• Allows shutdown/wake-up via LAN/input port
TOPSwitch-GX uses the same proven topology as TOPSwitch,
cost effectively integrating the high voltage power MOSFET,
PWM control, fault protection and other control circuitry onto
a single CMOS chip. Many new functions are integrated to
reduce system cost and improve design flexibility, performance
and energy efficiency.
Depending on package type, the TOPSwitch-GX family has
either 1 or 3 additional pins over the standard DRAIN, SOURCE
and CONTROL terminals. allowing the following functions:
line sensing (OV/UV, line feedforward/DC max reduction),
accurate externally set current limit, remote on/off, and
synchronization to an external lower frequency and frequency
selection (132 kHz/66 kHz).
All package types provide the following transparent features:
Soft-start, 132 kHz switching frequency (automatically reduced
at light load), frequency jittering for lower EMI, wider DC
hysteretic thermal shutdown and larger creepage packages. In
addition, all critical parameters (i.e. current limit, frequency,
PWM gain) have tighter temperature and absolute tolerance, to
simplify design and optimize system cost.
reduction rejects line ripple and limits DC
(80 mW @ 110 VAC, 160 mW @ 230 VAC)
, Integrated Off-line Switcher
at high line
Table 1. Notes: 1. Typical continuous power in a non-ventilated
enclosed adapter measured at 50 °C ambient. Assumes 1 sq. in. of
2 oz. copper heat sink area for R package. 2. Maximum practical
continuous power in an open frame design at 50 °C ambient. See
Key Applications for detailed conditions. Assumes 3 sq. in. of 2 oz.
copper heat sink area for R package. 3. See Part Ordering Information.
4. 230 VAC or 100/115 VAC with doubler.
Figure 1. Typical Flyback Application.
TOP242 P or G
TOP243 P or G
TOP244 P or G
OUTPUT POWER TABLE