Cautions and warnings
1. EPCOS metal oxide varistors (SIOVs) are designed for specific applications and should not be
used for purposes not identified in our specifications, application notes and data books unless
otherwise agreed with EPCOS during the design-in-phase.
2. Ensure suitability of SIOVs through reliability testing during the design-in phase. SIOVs should
be evaluated taking into consideration worst-case conditions.
3. For applications of SIOVs in line-to-ground circuits based on various international and local
standards there are restrictions existing or additional safety measures required.
1. Store SIOVs only in original packaging. Do not open the package before storage.
2. Storage conditions in original packaging:
–25 °C … +45 °C
<75% annual average,
<95% on maximum 30 days a year.
Is to be avoided.
3. Avoid contamination of an SIOV’s surface during storage, handling and processing.
4. Avoid storage of SIOVs in harmful environments that can affect the function during long-term
operation (examples given under operation precautions).
5. The SIOV type series should be soldered within the time specified:
SIOV-S, -Q, -LS
ETFV and SFS types
1. SIOVs must not be dropped.
2. Components must not be touched with bare hands. Gloves are recommended.
3. Avoid contamination of the surface of SIOV electrodes during handling, be careful of the sharp
edge of SIOV electrodes.
Soldering (where applicable)
1. Use rosin-type flux or non-activated flux.
2. Insufficient preheating may cause ceramic cracks.
3. Rapid cooling by dipping in solvent is not recommended.
4. Complete removal of flux is recommended.
Please read Cautions and warnings and
Important notes at the end of this document.